RV Shipments and Sales Data
RV shipments finished 2018 with the second highest shipment total on record. Shipments totaled 483,672 units, a slight decrease of -4.1% from 2017's record-setting year.
RV shipments are predicted to reach 416,300 units in 2019, the fourth highest total on comparable record.
- Recent shipments history:
- For a historical chart showing RV shipments by year, view the RVIA Historical Glance.
- The RV industry has a $114 billion economic impact according to the results of the 2019 RVs Move America Study, research commissioned by the RV Industry Association. The industry provides 596,355 jobs and $32.2 billion in wages. For additional information: RVs Move America
Reasons for Industry Strength
- RVs support a balanced and active lifestyle. In surveys, RV owners reported that RV travel enables them to experience nature and outdoor activities and enjoy quality family time. RVers reported stronger bonds with loved ones and benefits to children. RVers also cited healthier eating on the road, sleeping in their own beds, and having their own bathroom facilities as advantages of RV travel.
- RV ownership and travel is a great value. A 2018 Vacation Cost Comparison prepared by CBRE Hotels Advisory Group showed that a family of four can save 21-64% on vacation costs by traveling in an RV, even when factoring in ownership costs and fuel. For a two-person traveling party, savings are 8-53%.
- RVs have uses as diverse as the people who own them. In addition to vacation travel, owners use RVs for tailgating, travel with pets, business, outdoor sports and other leisure activities.
- Shorter trips closer to home. Research shows that RVers spend more time enjoying campgrounds and less on the road to save fuel and time. More than 90% of RVers take three or more mini-vacations per year. With more than 16,000 campgrounds nationwide, it’s easy for RVers to stay closer to home.
Other Factors Behind RV Ownership Trends
- IRS tax deduction. For most RV buyers, interest on their loan is deductible as second home mortgage interest.
- RV manufacturers are offering innovative new products that offer an optimal mix of size, amenities and price for today’s travelers. Manufacturers are producing lightweight trailers and smaller, fuel-efficient motorhomes. Green technologies such as solar panels and energy-efficient components are appearing on an increasing number of RV models.
- Lifestyle trends continue to spur demand for RVs. RV owners overwhelmingly said in recent surveys that their RVs make it easier to take more frequent weekend getaways or mini-vacations that accommodate busy family schedules. Nearly 90% of RV owners take three or more mini-vacations (four nights or fewer) trips in their RVs each year.
- Go RVing ads build demand. The industry’s Go RVing advertising campaign continues to stoke consumer interest in RVs and the RVing lifestyle. The “AWAY” television and print ads are appearing on TV and in print, and Go RVing is partnering with music festivals and sports leagues to expand the campaign’s reach. Details: GoRVing.com.
Director of Media Relations
RV Industry Association