Like many National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) codes, NFPA 70, the National Electric Code (NEC), undergoes a three-year long revision cycle for the publication of each new edition of the code. Because specific articles of the NEC address electrical systems for both traditional RVs, park model RVs (PMRV), and RV parks and campgrounds, the RV industry is heavily involved in this standard review process.
The process begins with the Public Input Stage where recommendations from the RV industry, the public and other stakeholders are accepted for consideration in the development of the first draft of code updates. These recommendations are currently being accepted until September 10, 2020.
After the closing date, the NEC Code Making Panel 7 will meet to consider all recommendations and provide a response to all submissions received. The RV industry is currently well represented on this panel by Ryan Hyer, TEI; Wade Elliot, Utility Services Group; Robert Garcia, Cavco Industries; Doug Mulvaney, Kampgrounds Of America; and Bruce Hopkins and Kent Perkins from the RV Industry Association. These individuals voluntarily serve on this panel in order to protect the RV, PMRV and RV parks and campground’s best interests regarding potential code changes that could have major impact.
Contributing to the creation and review of standards affecting the RV industry is a critical role of the RV Industry Association’s Standards Department. Department leaders Bruce Hopkins and Kent Perkins are available to provide guidance and assistance to any member looking to be involved in the creation and review process of standards affecting the industry.
All members are encouraged to submit their proposed recommendations during this initial public input period. Involvement in this standard revision process by the industry is key to keeping the RV industry self-regulated.
HOW DO I SUBMIT A PUBLIC INPUT?
NFPA accepts public input on documents through their online submission system. To submit your response for the Annual 2022 NEC cycle (2023 edition of the NEC):
- Visit NFPA’s website by clicking here
- Select the link "Submit a Public Input"
- You will be asked to sign-in or create a free online account with NFPA before using the system
- Click the drop-down menu for "Chapter 5 Special Occupancies" from the Table of Contents
- Select article "551 Recreational Vehicles and Recreational Vehicle Parks" or article “552 Park Trailers”
- Follow the online instructions to submit your Public Input. (See instructions on how to use the submission system)
- Once a Public Input is saved or submitted in the system, it can be located on the "My Profile" page by selecting the "My Public Inputs/Comments/NITMAMs" section.
More information on the submissions can be found in the latest Standard News Bulletins. Please contact Bruce Hopkins at [email protected] or Kent Perkins at [email protected] for additional information on how to be involved in the process.