On July 1, 2020, the US-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) took effect, replacing the 1992 North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). Below are a number of resources to help RV companies navigate the new agreement.
Several agencies have released guides and information on USMCA implementation:
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Releases USMCA Final Implementation Instructions: On July 1, 2020, CBP released Final Implementation Instructions on the USMCA (updating the version released on June 16).
- U.S. Department of Labor Releases Interim Final Rule on USMCA Automotive Labor Value Content Requirements: On July 1, 2020, the U.S. Department of Labor released an interim final rule providing the regulations necessary to implement and administer the high-wage components of the Labor Value Content requirements in the USMCA and the USMCA Implementation Act. The rule provides guidance to producers of motor vehicles covered by the USMCA, describing criteria required to qualify for preferential tariffs under the agreement. Public comments on the interim final rule are due by Aug. 31.
- United States Trade Representative (USTR) Releases Proposed Procedures for USMCA Labor Complaint Submissions: On June 30, 2020, USTR released proposed procedures (on behalf of the Interagency Labor Committee for Monitoring and Enforcement) for submissions by the public of information regarding potential failures of Canada or Mexico to implement their labor obligations under the USMCA. Public comments on the proposed procedures are due by Aug. 15.
Additional USMCA resources:
- USMCA Uniform Regulations:
- CBP USMCA Informational Webinar Slides (released on June 17)
- CBP USMCA landing page, with additional USMCA links and resources
- United States-Mexico-Canada Implementation Act
Upcoming Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Automated Commercial Environment (ACE) Calls: Starting July 1, 2020, CBP is deploying the USMCA enhancement in the Automated Commercial Environment. This enhancement will implement new requirements for processing entries subject to the USMCA. CBP is hosting a series of technical support calls – please see the table below for information regarding upcoming calls:
|Meeting Date||Meeting Time||
|July 1||2 PM ET||Meeting Link||USMCA02|
|July 2||2 PM ET||Meeting Link||USMCA02|
|July 6||2 PM ET||Meeting Link||USMCA03|
|July 7||2 PM ET||Meeting Link||USMCA03|
|July 8||2 PM ET||Meeting Link||USMCA03|
Please contact Samantha Rocci at [email protected] with any questions on the USMCA agreement or its impact on the RV industry.